Saturday, May 19, 2012

The Departure

He hugged me and he closed his eyes. His muscular arms and cold hands tried to cover my entire head. His lips leaned towards my head and my head rested on his chest. I closed my eyes and I listened to his heartbeat. Every beat made me feel safe and scared at the same time. My tiny arms were around his waist. My small hands clinched together. Then I heard the sound of a rushing plane passing through above us. It was heading somewhere towards the air and it left a heavy sound echoing a request that I should let him go.

"I will be back.", he whispered closely as he calmly convinced his tears not to pour out from his eyes. I clenched my hands tighter. I don't want him to ride any of those planes. I want him to stay where he is -- in my arms.

Like him, I didn't want to cry but immediately and outrageously, I did. The more I resisted what's within me, the more it poured. Every tear begged him to stay but every second forced me to let go. It was me against flying planes and ticking seconds, and they've already won.

His muscular arms seemed weak as he picked up his luggage quietly. I wanted to help him carry it but I can't stop watching him look away and leave. Some seconds after, he was already walking away with his luggage. I was only standing still, watching it all happen. I wanted to outcry so many things but I didn't know how to say everything in two seconds. And just when I thought the last second will end, I shakily shouted the words, "I will be waiting!".

Though his body was already facing the gate that regularly welcomes another long distance relationship, he stared back with his teary eyes and smiling said to me, "Be strong. I love you." Surprised, I replied "I love you too."

It was bitter but I swallowed the pain of seeing him take the first few steps of the 6,000 miles away from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment